Friday, August 16, 2013

Connect with librarians and archivists from around the world

Flag Of Flags
CC: Flag of Flags
By Garry Knight on Flickr

The new round of partnerships for the International Librarians Network commences in September.

The International Librarians Network is a wonderful opportunity to connect with like-minded peers from around the world.

I have completed the first pilot round that started in April, and I have signed up again.
It does not take much of your own time, but only an email or two per week to the partner selected from around the world.

It has brought me many new insights about what is happening in the world of librarians.
I have caught on to many new reading materials, but I have also come to realize that we are not the only ones struggling in our daily jobs...
Struggling with recognition and budget cuts and staying afloat in an era of online information...

I have met Fiona Malcolm (@tapsister) from the Boroondara City  Library in Australia.
We will be continuing our discussions on "world domination", as she calls it, and I am learning with each email I receive from her about valuable articles or learning material for professional development.

Through the International Librarians Network I am taking part in the ANZ 23 Mobile Things, a world-wide network for librarians (but not exclusive) for learning new things about mobile technology and apps and the application of it in library environments.

I have also signed up for my first Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), the New Librarianship Master Class of the Syracuse University, and have done the four week course. I have received my Certificate of Completion yesterday.

Had it not been for ILN, I would not have known about it!


Information about the International Librarians Network:

- About ILN

- How the programme works 

- Join ILN

- Facebook: International Librarians Network

- Twitter: @InterLibNet


Blog post by Karen du Toit, Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any feedback and comments!