|Copy from our Vizify Tweetsheet for our Twitter account: SABCMediaLib|
Some of us are back at work already, and doing the last of 2011's stats and starting with plans for the New Year!
Before we can move on, it is always great to have a look at the previous year!
The SABC Media Libraries hosted and took part in some events in 2011:
- The British Library Audiovisual Archiving training workshop took place at the SABC from 28 March to 1 Paril 2011
- We participated in Ask Archivists Day on 9 June on Twitter #AskArchivists
- The SABC Media Libraries first Knowledge Café - LibCafe 30 August 2011
The theme was "Diving into social media" - It was an introduction to social media, and how to get everybody involved in participating on our social networks.
- Moshito 2011 experience 31 August - 2 September 2011
The yearly music conference and exhibition - The SABC Media Libraries and the SABC News Archives had an exhibition in Newtown as well.
- A lone tweep also participated in #Followalibrary Day 1 October 2011
- The SABC Media Libraries celebrated World day for Adiovisual Heritage 2011, in Auckland Park as well as in the regions Bloemfontein and Platfontein. 27 October 2011
The ILAM Travelling exhibition was set up in the foyer of the SABC in Aucland Park in preparation for World day for Audiovisual Heritage.
Some of the projects that took shape last year:
- We finally got Springbok Radio back as part of our collection thanks to keen collector Frans Erasmus.
- Pops Mohamed Music Project for the San at SABC Platfontein
Pops Mohamed is a local South African musician championing the African music culture through the use of indigenous African musical instruments. Pops Mohamed trained them to use a studio to record the indigenous music of the San culture.
Our 5 most popular blog posts of the previous year were:
It seems the interviews with our interns were a big hit. (351 hits)
1. Interview with an intern - Thakani Ramufhufhi
We had our first Knowledge Café last year, and this was one of the preliminary posts. (342 hits)
2. The Knowledge Café to address a PowerPoint aversion
Another interview with an intern. (196 hits)
3. Interview with the intern at the SABC Radio Archives - Obakeng Phiri
Interview with the Principal Librarian (156 hits)
4. Interview with the Principal Librarian at the SABC Information Library
Interview with the Afrikaans Archivist (148 hits)
5. The Weekly Archivist Interview: Afrikaans Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives: Karen du Toit
We have high hopes that this year is going to be a year of big changes, and that we finally will be able to get the ball rolling with regards a Digital Library!
Blog post by Karen du Toit, Afrikaans Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives