Monday, May 30, 2011

Interview with an assistant record librarian at the SABC Record Library: Oliver Mhlanga

Oliver Mhlanga
SABC Record Library
This is part of a series of blog posts to gain a better understanding of the SABC Record Library, as well as part of a series of blog posts about the SABC Media Libraries. The interviews help us to gain a better understanding of the work that we do here.

The interview this week is with Oliver Mhlanga, an assistant record librarian in the SABC Record Library. He is responsible for the filing of the music.

The Record Library houses recorded music, previously unavailable, as well as all genres of recorded music, including sound effects and others. The music is regularly accessed by staff and made available to SABC internal clients.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

I am Oliver Fana Mhlanga. I grew up in Mpumalanga in the place called Piet Retief. Before I joined the SABC I was working as a bricklayer (builder).

Please tell us about a normal day in your office. What music do you give priority to?
I need training and understanding of different music genres and how to classify it.

Do you struggle with technical difficulties, and if so, what?

Yes, I am struggling with technical issues because it is not part of my job description to work on a computer most of the time.

If you have an anecdote about a specific piece of interesting music, please share it with us.

Of course I have a specific piece of interesting music which I enjoy!

R Kelly: The Storm is over now.
Quote from the lyrics:

“I was in a tunnel
And couldn't see the light
And whenever I'd look up
I couldn't see the sky
Sometimes when I'm standin'
It seems like I done walked for miles
And my heart could be cryin'
Dead in the middle of a smile

But then I climbed the hills
And saw the mountains
I hollered help 'cause I was lost
Then I felt the strong wind
Heard a small voice sayin'

The storm is over
(The storm is over now)
And I can see the sunshine
(Somewhere beyond the clouds)
I feel Heaven, yeah
(Heaven is over me)
Come on and set me free, whoa”
Tell us why you enjoy doing the work that you do.
Yes, I am enjoying my work because it is encouraging every day!

Related posts:
Interview with Aaron Magoro at the SABC Record Library

Interview with a Systems Administartor at the SABC Record Library

Interview with a Record Librarian at the SABC Record Library


Questions and blog post by Karen du Toit, Afrikaans Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any feedback and comments!